At Johnston Smiles, we understand that, over time, teeth may experience decay, fractures, or wear. Restorative dentistry is designed to bring back your smile’s natural strength and beauty.
Our experienced team in Selma, NC, combines technology with personalized care to offer restorative treatments that are tailored to your specific needs. Below, let’s explore the options we provide to rejuvenate your smile.
Composite fillings are a popular choice for restoring decayed teeth. Made from a mixture of plastic and glass particles, these fillings are matched to your natural tooth color for a seamless appearance. They adhere directly to the tooth, providing support and minimizing the chance of cracks or breaks. The aesthetic and functional benefits make composite fillings an excellent choice for patients seeking a natural-looking restoration.
Root Canal Therapy
Root canal therapy is a procedure focused on preserving a tooth with an infected or inflamed pulp, often caused by deep decay, repeated dental procedures, faulty crowns, or cracks in the tooth.
- The process begins with a thorough examination, using x-rays to assess the root canals and detect infection in the surrounding bone.
- Once the area is numbed with local anesthesia, a dental dam is placed to maintain cleanliness, and the inflamed or infected pulp is removed.
- This is followed by meticulous cleaning and shaping of the inside of the canal, eradicating bacteria, and preparing space for filling.
- The canal is then filled with a biocompatible material, typically a rubber-like substance called gutta-percha, along with adhesive cement to seal the canals.
- After root canal therapy, the tooth is restored with a crown for protection, enabling it to function normally.
Root canal therapy at Johnston Smiles is executed with precision and attention to detail. The procedure has a high success rate and can save a tooth that might otherwise be lost. With proper care, most teeth treated with root canal therapy can last a lifetime.
A dental crown serves as a protective cap for a tooth that has been damaged or weakened by decay, breakage, or extensive dental work. It’s a restoration that encompasses the entire visible portion of the tooth, restoring its original shape, size, and appearance. At Johnston Smiles, we create dental crowns using advanced materials such as ceramics or porcelain, ensuring a match with your natural tooth color.
The process typically involves two visits.
- During the first appointment, we’ll prepare the affected tooth by removing any decay and reshaping it to accommodate the crown. We’ll take an impression to ensure the crown fits seamlessly and provide a temporary crown to protect the tooth in the meantime.
- On the second visit, we’ll remove the temporary crown and cement the permanent one in place, making any necessary adjustments to ensure a perfect fit.
Inlays & Onlays
Inlays and onlays are custom-fitted restorations that repair teeth that have moderate decay or damage. An inlay fit within the cusps of a tooth, while an onlay extends over one or more cusps. This treatment provides a conservative approach to dental restoration, preserving more of your natural tooth structure. They are crafted with precision to fit perfectly and are strong, stable, and visually undetectable.
Sometimes, extraction is the best solution for a problematic tooth. We provide both simple and surgical extractions at Johnston Smiles.
- Simple extraction: A simple extraction is typically performed on a tooth that is visible in the mouth. It is generally a straightforward procedure where the tooth is loosened and then removed with specialized tools.
- Surgical extraction: If a tooth is impacted or trapped beneath the gum line, a surgical extraction may be necessary. This is a more complex procedure that requires careful planning and execution by our skilled dental team. We take every precaution to minimize discomfort, using appropriate anesthesia and providing detailed after-care instructions.
Fixed bridges have long been a trusted and proven solution for patients dealing with the loss of one or more teeth. Bridges consist of artificial teeth that are securely anchored by crowns placed over adjacent teeth for support. The crowns not only provide stability to the bridge, but are custom-made to seamlessly blend with the rest of your natural teeth. By restoring your bite and preserving the natural shape of your face, our meticulously designed bridges ensure a complete and harmonious smile—even after tooth loss.
Your Destination For Exceptional Restorative Dentistry
At Johnston Smiles, we strive to provide restorative solutions that are not only effective but also designed with your comfort and aesthetics in mind. Our compassionate team is here to guide you through the process, ensuring you receive care that exceeds expectations.
Don’t let dental problems take away your smile; contact us today to discover how we can return your teeth to their natural beauty. We’re not just about treating teeth; we’re about making our patients smile again. Call today!